PRP Treatment For Hair Loss
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma): Platelet-rich plasma has taken the world by storm in the last few years as an attractive option to address thinning hair for both men and women. While still few, publications and longer-term studies have confirmed safety and efficacy in more and more patients.
PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, is a treatment that involves using a person’s own blood, which is processed to concentrate the platelets and growth factors. These platelets and growth factors are then injected into the scalp to promote hair growth.
PRP treatment for hair loss is typically done in a series of several sessions, and the effects may not be fully visible for several months.
PRP is considered a safe treatment option, with minimal side effects. However, the effectiveness of the treatment is still under study, some studies showed positive results while others did not. It’s important to discuss with a our hair loss specialist, to determine if PRP treatment is a suitable option for you and to evaluate the cost and benefit.
The PRP Injection Procedure
The following steps are an example of a common approach to PRP injections for hair loss:
- A medical professional draws blood from a vein in the arm.
- They place the blood sample in a centrifuge.
- The centrifuge spins the blood, separating its components.
- A medical professional extracts the platelets using a syringe.
- A doctor injects the platelets into targeted areas of the scalp.
After receiving PRP treatment, a person can usually return to their regular activities without any limitations.
Benefits of PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma)
- Increases blood supply to the follicle
- Increases shaft size (thickness)
- Triggers and maintains the growth phase
- Controls hair growth cycle
- Decreases hair loss